Facebook has been the main player in the social media world since since most of us have been on the internet. It provides a good way to share what has been happening to friends and family, but is it the best option? I believe that it is not.
- A lot of people are already using it
- They track your web usage on other internet sites if you are still signed into your account
- Their mobile apps require permission to see about everything on your phone
- If you use their website from a mobile device they no longer show messages. They are trying to force people to use their messenger app.
- Ads -sometimes very annoying! (Do a search in google for something and all of a sudden there are ads for that exact thing)
- They actively suppress conservative news, Christian pages and content that they deem to be hateful
- They promote many things that are anti-Christ
- It is easy to get “lost” in the amount of new information that is posted by your “friends” on Facebook.
Alternatives (I am starting with one, but more may be added later)
- Built specifically for believers in Jesus
- Connected to their Bible software
- Instead of “liking” someone’s post, there are other options as well like “Praying” and “Praise the Lord”
- It is built around groups.
- It is easy to see posts just from certain groups instead of always at everyone’s posts
- Easy for churches or other organizations to send out notifications
- There are many options for when and how to be notified of a change or update to a certain group.
- Receive notifications (in one of their apps or programs)
- Get an email weekly, daily, instantly or not at all
- Notifications settings can be customized per group
- No ads
- Not many people are using it yet
- ??? (ok, this is a short list 🙂 )
Links to Groups on Faithlife
Other Pages Discussing Faithlife & alternatives